Did you know that Facebook favors live videos for engagement over any other post? That means live videos give you more eyes on YOU. Which means you have a huge opportunity to get your network's attention and grow your influence on social media in order to boost business and make a bigger impact!
But be careful, it’s not just DOING live videos that's going to get you the results you are looking for, it’s doing them strategically.
Which is what I’m giving you here — the most important tips you need in order to create AWESOME FB Live Videos whether you are already doing them or need the encouragement to start. And as a bonus, I’ve created a Facebook Live Video Script for you that you can use RIGHT AWAY that I’ve used in the past that was CRAZY successful. You can download it here.
However, I know who you are and already know that live video intimidates you. Heck, it intimidates ME and I’ve been doing them for some time now.
But people WANT to see YOU. It’s the next best thing to having an interactive conversation with someone. It allows you to connect with your audience in a much more meaningful way and multiplies the know, like, and trust factor so you can uplevel your social media game and uplevel your business!
So, before we get into the pro-tips for Facebook Live, let's talk basics.
What do you need for effective Facebook Live videos?
You. I know it’s the most obvious, but if there’s anything I want you to take away from this article, it's that YOU are what people want to connect with and often times we get in our own way in showing up and doing things that make us uncomfortable. You could read on and get stellar tips and tricks to killin’ it in your live videos, but if you can’t overcome your fear of doing them, there’s no sense in moving on. So for what it’s worth, I believe in you! And if you want to see growth in your business (and in your life) we have to get comfortable with the uncomfortable.
Camera. The second most obvious thing, but worth mentioning, is that videos are so easy and convenient to do because you can do them right from your phone. There’s no need to go out and by a fancy camera because most smartphones these days have great quality! This is the webcam I use.
Tripod. In order to eliminate nausea or dizziness for your audience, get yourself a super inexpensive tripod to place your phone on. This gets rid of the shake and allows you to have both hands free! There’s a great, inexpensive version here.
Light. This is the perfectionism in me, but dark videos tend to be less appealing and distracting. People want to actually see your face. So make sure you have good natural lighting. Do your video with your face close to or facing a window. But if you have issues with getting good lighting, consider investing in an artificial lighting system, but only after you’ve proven to yourself that you will do consistent live videos. Here's the ring light that I use.
Now that we've got the basics down, let's move on to the good stuff..
8 Tips For Awesome Facebook Live Videos (for pro's and beginners)
- Horizontal Placement. If you are using your phone, this is a must. If your phone is vertical during live video, it will show up with black bars on each side when someone looks at it on their desktop. Place it horizontally on your tripod so it is consistent with the FB newsfeed.
- Share Great Content. I don’t believe that you need to show up with mind-blowing messages, but don’t show up on Facebook Live just for the sake of it. There are very simple and basic things you can/should be sharing with your audience that can provide immense value. Use this article to stimulate some ideas.
- Prep, Prep, Prep. Outline what you want to say and use a powerpoint or notebook to reference periodically. You can keep it by your side or in front of you (but behind the camera). Don't be afraid to look at your notes throughout your video, just don't read it verbatim. You can use your outline or full draft of the content to repurpose into other social media posts so don’t feel like this prep is a waste of time.
- Start RIGHT AWAY! As soon as you hit the “LIVE” button, jump right into your intro and message. Don’t wait until more people hop on to view during the live session. The majority of views come during the replay, so it’s irrelevant as to how many people watched you live. It’s awkward in the replay when someone says, “I’ll just wait until more people come on..” and wait in silence… Personally, I usually move on when someone does this and won't watch the video.
- Be Consistent. I know people say it’s better to do something than not do it at all… but I believe that showing up as a leader on social media requires consistency. And that’s no exception for Facebook Live video. Commit to going live on a consistent basis. Whether that’s once a week or once a month, it doesn’t matter – just pick something that will work for you.
- Make it Actionable. Give your audience something they can takeaway and/or implement from your message in the video that can make a small (or large) impact to them. I give an example of this and how I slip it in with my FB Live Video Script.
- Have A Call To Action. Different than above, having a call to action gets them to engage in the video — whether it’s asking them to “like” the video if they got value from it or asking them to share or comment, you have to tell people WHAT TO DO. This is a way to optimize engagement levels, therefore getting your content in front of more people!
- Engage. Be sure to engage with the people that comment or share your video. Then, take those conversations offline so that you can continue to develop relationships and amplify your know, like and trust factor!
Video is a powerful tool, friend. You have to being doing the things that WORK in order to get and stay ahead of your competition. And most importantly, you want to grow a tribe of raving fans, and this is the PERFECT way to do it.
Start implementing ASAP and grab your video script (and an example of how I've used this in the past that was CRAZY successful) and get going!
Happy video-ing, friends!